Saturday, May 8, 2010

Blog Bites with Isobael Liu’s, Lilian Quinn

IsobaelLiumoonlightandmagick
My name is Lilian Quinn. Well, it’s my legal name now. You can find me in the novel, “Moonlight and Magick” by Isobael Liu. It’s not out yet. It’ll be available May 3rd, so keep an eye out for it! You can find it at Lyrical Press, Inc (http://www.lyricalpress.com/moonlight_and_magick)

So Lilian, what makes you special?
Hmm. Good question. I’m not so much sure I’m “special” as much as I’m learning to accept I’m not a freak. You see, I’m not entirely human. My father is from another Realm, my mother was human. Unfortunately, she went insane and I was adopted. Sort of. Anyway, I have abilities that make me a bit of a freak. It also made me a target for some rather nefarious people. Plus, I gained a few more abilities, but you can read about that in “Moonlight and Magick”.

Tell me about your most current adventure.
My most current adventure? Well, let’s see…I’m on the run from a stalker psycho ex boyfriend, and a secret organization bent on world domination by genetically creating their own army using freaks like me. I meet a man who’s aggravatingly stubborn, but is willing to help me, even if I keep telling him to go away. I find out he has some secrets of his own.

Well, take for instance this excerpt –

Lilian had had enough. She stomped on one of his feet and with a shift of her body, kicked a foot out, catching his legs. She swept them from under him. Matthias lost his balance and went down to the pavement. Unfortunately, he didn’t release her so when he went down, she did too, and landed on top of him with a soft oomph. The others burst into laughter as Matthias lifted a brow at her. She thumped him hard on the chest.
“You were supposed to let me go!”
He gave her a crooked smile. “I rather like how we ended up.”
Lilian blinked and scrambled to her feet as the blood rushed to her face, heating it. The guys continued to laugh with relish.
“I’m so glad you found it hilarious.” She glared at them.
“Can’t remember the last time the Alph–oomph!” one said, interrupted when another elbowed him.
She looked between the two of them.
Matthias stood and she turned to him. “What’s going on?”
He sighed and gave her a shrug. “I suppose I should tell you.”
Lilian started to back away. “So, you are hiding something. I knew it. I should have known better.”
“Wait, let me explain.”
The guys sobered and watched the two of them carefully.
She lifted her branded hand, as if to ward him off.
“No, stay back, Matthias. I mean it. I don’t want to hurt you.”


Tell us a little bit about your author. Where can we find more of their works? And If you could offer your author advice, what would it be?
Isobael? Let’s see. She lives in WA state, is married and has a daughter. She’s a licensed falconer. She loves to record EVPs (that’s electronic voice phenomena) and has gotten a few really awesome ones – if you like talking to ghosts. This novel is her first published work, although before this, she wrote poetry.

Advice. I would say to stop being so distracted and stop worrying. Just write.

Are you happy with the way people perceive you?
Yes and no. I mean, people see me as this fragile, shy person and I’m not. I’m sassy, but with my secrets, I’ve had to be someone else to hide. My ex boyfriend thinks I belong to him, Matthias thinks I’m his mate, one of his pack members thinks I’m competition. She also thinks I’m trash because I’m human. The secret organization after me thinks I’m their property to use for genetic testing, and someone is trying to kill me for my abilities.
On the other hand, I’ve always wanted to belong somewhere, to be loved, to be accepted for who I am and Matthias is offering me my dream. I have people coming out of the woodwork I have no idea who they are but are offering me acceptance and love.
I still think I’m a freak though.

Tell us a little bit about your world.
Which one? LOL! The mortal realm is normal. I live in a small town, a blink and you’ll miss it sort of town called Hawk’s Point. It’s in WA state. Not too far from where Isobael grew up, actually. It’s beautiful – forests, a river, a view of Mount Rainier that’s to die for. I had a small house set in the woods but Ste…errr, you’ll just have to read the book to find out.

The other one, the otherworld, is beautiful. Colors are so bright, you can see everything in great detail. The air is clean and fresh. It’s a bit backwards in the way they dress and act – think of like old English courts, say, Renaissance Period or maybe a little newer, but still CORSETS? Isobael would love to have one, but trust me, I’ll go without thanks. I have this thing where I actually LIKE to breathe.

What kind of music do you listen to?
Classical and ethnic music, like belly dancing music, some Chinese music (Isobael’s half Taiwanese), and I love techno. I love the beats.

Is humor important? Why or why not?
Definitely, yes. Without it, we’d all be boring and bored. We need the fun, the laughter. It helps release stress. It relaxes.

Is expressing love difficult for you? Why?
At first, yes. I grew up with a stepfather that was quite abusive, and then I was used as an experiment. They didn’t believe in giving us children any affection. Then, when I escaped, I met my ex boyfriend and at first, I thought he was a good man, but he became abusive. I had no experience in what love is until I met Matthias.

What is the most interesting thing that has happened to you?
LOL. Let’s see – I killed my stepfather, I have all these freaky abilities, I’m on the run, I’m the mate of a werewolf, I’m the daughter of the Summer Court King. Take your pick!

If you could pull your author into your world, what do you think would happen to them?
Oh, she would FREAK! Definitely freak…and then she’d want to go through the Mists. I’d probably never get her out of there. Oh, and she would love my father’s Court. The gowns, the dancing, the corsets, the swords. It’s probably safer she doesn’t have the ability to come into my world.

If you were brought into this world, what would be your first order of business?
Does throttling your author count? LOL

If you had the chance to meet another character, who would it be and why?
Another character from other books? Hmmm. Isobael’s working on a novel now and there’s a character I’d love to meet from there. Her name is Lina. She’s a swordswoman and swordsmith. I’d love to meet some of those yummy men from Christine Feehan’s novels. (Don’t tell Matthias I said that!)

What is your most favorite thing to do?
Have fun. Whether it’s relaxing or doing something, as long as I’m having fun, it’s my favorite thing to do. I didn’t get a lot of it growing up, so you can see where I’m trying to catch up with all the things I missed out.

Do you think you are a superior being?
Oh, hell no. I’m still learning to think of myself as something other than a freak. There’s no way I’d think of myself as superior. I make mistakes. I put my jeans on one leg at a time. I run around barefoot. I like sneaking ice cream in the middle of the night. I have a temper. No, definitely not superior.

What are your opinions on Werewolves?
Giant puppies with long claws and huge teeth. Don’t tell Matthias I said that either. Still, they’re gorgeous, fierce, protective, loving. They make mistakes too, but they’ll give their lives for those they love. They can be arrogant though, and possessive, so you need to learn how to accept it in them but go around it to get what you want.

What are the pro’s and con’s to being a Sidhe?
Well, for one thing, it hurt like HELL when I went through the Chrysalis. I have all the allergies of the Sidhe, iron, salt, etc. Pro’s though are the awesome abilities and the fact I can travel between the two realms.

How does one become Sidhe?
You can’t. Not unless one of your parents were one. You have to be a half breed, and then go through the Chrysalis, which will either kill you, drive you insane, or make you Sidhe. Yeah, not the greatest of odds, huh?

What kind of abilities do you get when you become a Sidhe?Shapeshifting is one. Healing, telekinesis, telepathy, some wickedly awesome energy balls you can use in battle. Energy shields, those tend to come in handy.

What makes being with a Sidhe the best sexual experience?
LOL. It doesn’t. Well, maybe the fact we can mentally connect with our partner and feel what they feel or make them feel what we feel. It can drive up the passion quite a bit, but other than that, it’s really the fact we’re with the person we love that makes it awesome.

How old are you?
Old enough to know, young enough to keep doing it. LOL.

Finally, is there something you wished we had asked, but didn’t?
Hey! There’s no list for Sidhe/Faeries! Of course, it’s not like we want people to know how awesome we are, how better we are then those furballs or those leeches. We like our anonymity. I mean, really, I can shift into any animal form, not just a breed form the furballs are limited to and though I like my neck nibbled on, I can’t see myself drinking blood. Eww! Although, we have to watch out for the leeches. Our blood is addictive to them. It’s like a drug to the vamps. Yeah, so I think I’ll stay away from them. I have a hard enough time dealing with Matthias and his autocratic ways, I don’t need to be a slave to a leech.

Good point. I’ll have to speak with my human author and add that category. Thanks for joining us today.

Isobael Liu can be reached at Isobael.liu@gmail.com
Website: http://isobael.webs.com
Blog: http://isobael-liu.blogspot.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Isobael-Liu-Author/373181952469
Author page at Lyrical Press, Inc. http://www.lyricalpress.com/store/index.php?main_page=authors&authors_id=132

2 comments: