Friday, December 11, 2009

Life and Poker Lessons


As I sit here and try to find something meaningful to share, words fail me. It’s not that I can’t think of any, I’ve got plenty of words, it’s just that none of them are pretty, and I, for one have first hand experience on how wars are started by a simple misspoken word, believe me.

My thoughts keep going back to a time when things were simple and people were pleasant. Or perhaps, I keep thinking about when I just didn’t give a shit about what happened, as long as it didn’t affect me.

Let me share a secret with you. Poker taught me how to deal with life. It taught me how to keep a straight face and most importantly, how to wait.

Sometimes, whether in poker or life, you’re dealt a crappy hand, but you never show it. Self survival depends on never, ever letting an enemy know they have the upper hand. Instead, you keep a straight face and bluff your way through or you suck it up and muck your cards.

It’s no different in real life. Izzy has walked out on me, my sister Kaley is dead and my mother, the true matriarch of our clan will lie in stasis for the next 50 or 60 human years while she gathers her strength back and I am left surrounded by Humans and Keepers.

At least, the humans I understand. The Keepers are a breed all on their own. They are not human yet, they celebrate the human holiday of allowing a fat man in a red suit to trespass into everyone's home one day of the year. I’m not opposed to this Christmas. Hell, I was around when they introduced it to the U.S. in the 1870’s. At first, *laughing* it was fun to watch the human morons run around preparing for the fat man to climb down their chimney, but after time, the humor wore off and now it’s just boring. *sighs*

But, in an effort to not only keep the peace, but also to gather more information about these so called Keepers, I will put on my poker face and celebrate these dastardly holidays with them. I have even arranged for a special party, *grin* but don’t expect to see me drinking wassail until after the guest of honor shows up, I want to stay sober for that! *smirks*

Yes, yes, of course, I’ll let you know what happens. I myself, am kind of curious of what will happen when I mix the humans, the keepers, the shifters and a demon into the pot.

Oh, these holidays may turn out to be interesting indeed!

1 comment:

  1. Really? Of all the things you could have written about, you write about poker?

    All I can say is that it figures! *stomps foot*

    ReplyDelete