I have this thing with rain, not really sure why but it gets to me. I adore just about every song with rain in the title, or as a theme. I sleep like an angel when it is raining. There is nothing more romantic to me than two people kissing in the pouring rain. I mean, come on, think about it, the Notebook, Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Streets of fire, Pride and Prejudice, Spiderman, Daredevil, a Cinderella Story, dear John, Pirates of the Caribbean, Garden State, Australia, Four Weddings and a Funeral (although I am going to groan at that one, worst line EVER).
“Really, I didn’t notice”
Best rain kiss? Hmmmm my vote would be for The Notebook—the sense of passion and urgency is unmatched. That is a kiss you feel in your toes!
How about some songs about rain? I know a few…
- 3 AM – Matchbox Twenty
- Bring on the Rain – Jo Dee Messina
- Here comes the Rain –The Eurythmics
- Purple Rain – Prince
- I wish it would Rain – the Temptations
- Rain down on me – Phil Collins
- Rain – Kiss
- Rain – The Beatles
- Singin’ in the Rain – Gene Kelly
- November Rain – Guns n’ Roses
- It’s Raining Men – The Weather Girls
- My kind of Rain – Tim McGraw
- Mandolin Rain – Bruce Hornsby and the Range
So I realize this is completely tangential, however it is rather fascinating the reverence people hold for rain. Believe it or not, there are superstitions, and sayings about rain.
- If it rains on your wedding day that is considered good luck.
- If smoke goes down your chimney, expect rain.
- If a snake crosses your path, there will be rain.
- If a dog eats grass, it will rain.
- A cat sneezing once indicates it will rain.
- If cows are lying down in the field it is going to rain.
- Rain washes away all your sorrows. Standing out in the rain or getting caught in the rain washes away all the negativity from you and leaves it in the earth where she uses it grow.
- You'll cry a tear for every drop of water that falls on your wedding day. If it rains on the way to the church or at the reception, it means an unhappy marriage. When a cow tries to scratch her ear, a storm is near.
- A cat washing its ears means rain.
- A peacock calling is an omen of rain, "When the peacock loudly bawls ~ soon we'll have both rain & squalls".
- During a funeral, if rain falls on a coffin it means the departed's soul has arrived safely in heaven.
- Yellow streaks in sunset sky, wind and daylong rain is nigh.
- In Romanian tradition, the rain can be found under different forms. It is either the water God throws on the earth, either the water which is drunk by the dragons from rivers or seas, either the sweat of the clouds or of the dragons.
- A mirror should be covered during a thunderstorm because it attracts lightning. Thunder sours milk. Mistletoe in the house protects it from thunder and lightning.
Last but certainly on least, Sex in the Rain….oh yeah… 9 1/2 Weeks baby! Hott! (Oddly that is the only one I could find…)
Wow that is a lot right? Interesting none-the-less and I have to say rather inspiring. I think I will go and write something about rain…how about you?
Contact me: WritesRomine@gmail firstname.lastname@example.org